Purpose of this Article
Many of my folks asked me how to upgrade the Exchange Server with FPE 2010. This article ships through the process of upgrading Exchange 2010 SP1 to Exchange 2010 SP2 RU5v2 on Client Access Server & Hub Transport Server.
1. IIS6 WMI Compatibility.
3. Stop any Forefront Server Security or Forefront Protection services that might still be running after Exchange has been stopped.
4. Disable Forefront via the FSC Utility:
5. Verify the FPE status
Install the service pack or the software update from
Note: - If you want to confirm that Exchange is working correctly after
the update is applied, you can start Exchange and then verify that all services
are working. Then, stop all exchange services. You can do this before you
continue to the next step. However, be aware that this step will let mail flow
unprotected until Forefront is re-enabled.
7. Enable Forefront using the FSC Utility.
8. Verify the FPE status
9. Start the Exchange Services.
10. Start any Forefront services that are stopped.
Installation Process: -
1. Installing IIS 6 WMI Compatibility by installing this via “Add Role Services” in Server Manager for the Web Server (IIS) role.
i) CAS servers
ii) HUB Transport servers
iii) Unified Messaging servers
iv) Mailbox servers
1.Once you’ve downloaded the bits and have the Exchange2010-SP2-x64.exe file click it to extract the contents. Find the setup.exe and it will copy the files it needs to start the installation.
2.You then arrive at the welcome screen where you choose “Install Microsoft Exchange Server Upgrade”
4. You get to the Upgrade Introduction screen where you can read and Click Next
5. You accept the EULA
6. And watch the wizard run the readiness checks
7. We have our CAS/HUB servers on the same nodes, so the prerequisites are checked for both. The CAS servers in Exchange 2010 SP2 need the IIS 6 WMI Compatibility Feature. If you had done the upgrade from the CLI you would have to run SETUP /m:upgrade /InstallWindowsComponents.
8. But then it completes and you can click “Finish”
Once the upgrade has been completed successfully. We need to start the FPE Service.
Enable Forefront using the FSC Utility.
Verify the FPE status
Start the Exchange Services.
Keep your comments..