How to Prepare Active Directory for Exchange
There are three portions which need to be updated before you install the new exchange system in the environment.
- Prepare Schema (PS).
- Prepare AD (PAD)
- Prepare Domain (PD).
Permission requirement: -
Before you run the above command in AD, you should have Schema admin, Enterprise Admin and Domain Admin permissions.
Prepare Schema (PS): -
Setup.com /prepareschema ( setup.com /ps)
We need to upgrade our current active directory schema version to newer to support Exchange attributes. While you prepare schema it will create new classes and attributes in AD.
We can check the Exchange Schema Version using ADSIEdit.msc.
- In the ADSI Edit console, right-click ADSI Edit in the navigation pane, and then click Connect to.
- In the Connection Settings dialog box, select Schema in the Select a well known Naming Context list, and then click OK.
- Expand the schema node in the navigation pane, and then click CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=contoso,DC=com.
- Right-click CN=ms-Exch-Schema-Version-Pt, and then click Properties.
- On the property page, locate rangeUpper in the Attribute (14734) list.
Prepare AD (PAD): -
Setup.com /prepareAD /OrganizationName: Learnexchange ( setup.com /pad /on:learnexchange)
While you prepare AD it will create multiple container, objects and other items to store exchange configuration information in active directory. These collections of objects and container called “Exchange Org”.
This container will keep all of your exchange server and organization policy details this will help you to recover from server disaster.
Prepare Domains (PD): -
Setup.com /preparedomain ( setup.com /pd)
While you prepare domain, it will create a new OU “Microsoft Exchange Security Groups” in ADUC and multiple Exchange default security groups to administer the exchange environment.
Hope this information is helped you. Keep visiting !